Eastern Mirror Desk
Dimapur, June 11 (EMN): The Special Investigation Team (SIT) has completed its probe into the Oting incident that killed 14 innocent villagers – 13 in a botched ambush by the 21 Para Special Forces and its aftermath in Mon district on December 4, 2021, and one during a protest in connection with the incident on the following day.
The Director General of Police (DGP), T John Longkumer on Saturday said that 30 members of the operation team of 21 Para Security Forces, including one Major, two subedars, eight Hav / THM, four Nk, six L / Nk and nine paratroopers , have been named in the charge sheet filed in connection with the case.
He added that charge sheet had been submitted to the District and Sessions Court, Mon, on May 30, 2022, through APP, Mon.
- Dec. 4, 2021: At around 4:30 pm, a unit of the ’21 Para Special Forces’, ambushed a Bolero pickup truck carrying eight miners from Oting village, suspecting them as militants, in what was dubbed as a case of mistaken identity by Home Minister Amit Shah. Out of the eight civilians, six were killed in the ambush and the remaining two severely injured. The villagers on searching for the missing miners and discovering their bodies retaliated in anger on the local armed forces and in the ensuing fight, seven more civilians and one jawan were killed.
- Dec. 5, 2021: One more civilian was killed by Indian army personnel during a protest in Mon in connection with the Oting incident. The government of Nagaland constitutes a Special Investigation Team (SIT) on the same day (December 5) under the supervision of ADGP (Law and Order), Sandeep M Tamgadge to probe the incident and gave a month’s time to complete its investigation.
- Dec. 7, 2021: Hornbill Festival called off; Army orders Court of Inquiry into the incident.
- Dec. 8, 2021: Mon residents hold candlelight vigil after DC partially lifts curfew
- Dec. 9, 2021: A tribute program in honor of the 14 victims held at Capital Cultural Hall in Kohima.
- Dec. 13, 2021: Konyak Union (KU) concludes 7-day mourning, severe ties with Indian security forces.
- Dec. 21, 2021: Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) team from Guwahati visits crime scene.
- Dec. 29, 2021: Indian Army’s inquiry team visits Oting village for investigation.
- Dec. 30, 2021: AFSPA extended for six more months.
- Jan. 9, 2022: SIT submits preliminary report.
- Jan. 10, 2022: Hundreds of Nagas join a two-day walkathon from Dimapur to Kohima, demanding the repeal of AFSPA and justice for the 14 civilians who were killed by security forces in Mon district.
- Jan. 12, 2022: Army Chief Gen MM Naravane describes the incident as “highly regrettable”; says “appropriate action” will be taken based on the investigation.
- Jan. 13, 2022: SIT updates on progress of investigation. Team expanded and divided into four groups, 85 civilian witnesses and 37 officers examined; Army personnel in Dec. 4 operation team examined.
- March 31, 2022: AFSPA partially lifted from Nagaland; removed from 15 police stations areas in seven districts.
- May 16, 2022: Army completes Court of Inquiry into the incident.
- May 30, 2022: SIT submits charge sheet to District and Sessions Court, Mon.
- June 11, 2022: SIT announces charge-sheeting of 30 Indian Army personnel.