GUWAHATI: Thirteen civilians were killed by security forces in an “ambush” in Nagaland’s Mon district, several non-governmental sources said.
According to sources, the personnel, who are said to be paracomandos, mistaken the victims as militants and ambushed them.
The incident took place on Saturday evening, December 4, 2021, when the victims were returning home from a coal mine in a van. They were daily bets on the coal mine.
Mon District Magistrate, Superintendent of Police and other senior police and civil administration officials were not available for comment.
District Konyak tribe leaders said six people were killed on Saturday evening and seven more succumbed to their injuries by Sunday morning.
“Thirteen civilians were killed and 11 civilians were injured. The disappearance of two civilians was also reported, “a tribal leader, who visited the site after the incident, told the newspaper, requesting anonymity.
“We want action against the guilty staff. If justice is not done, families will not receive the bodies,” he said, adding: “We are going to all national and international human rights organizations.”
The bodies were being moved to the district headquarters on Monday for an autopsy. The situation was said to be tense.
“The coal mine is located about 15 km from the village of the victims. They come home every Saturday, spend Sunday with family members and then show up at the service on Monday morning, “said a Konyak leader.
The East Nagaland People’s Organization (ENPO) has decided to withdraw from the annual Hornbill Festival in Kisama, near the state capital, Kohima.
The ENPO, which represents six tribes, had previously adopted a resolution against bloodshed in its area.
“How can we dance at the festival when our people are being murdered?” asked the Konyak leader.